Sunday, March 16, 2014

Reason to Rest

This morning a post came across my facebook newsfeed. It was an encouragement to spend my Sunday resting. It was a decent article about not giving all of myself away. Especially as a mom. With a house. With homeschooling. With little kids. It sucks all of the energy right out of me.

But I read that post through a filter. One that says, "You need to refill yourself so you can keep going." and keep giving. and keep doing.

And I'm sort of done with that.

I mean, I'm not done with giving myself for others. I'm done with the focus of my life being on what I can do.

The focus seems to be on getting something done and getting filled up so that the doing can continue. Stopping is seen as a negative because nothing is accomplished when you're not moving.

I want a new filter. One that says, "Fill yourself up on your relationship with Christ, and offer to others out of the overflow."

The focus is on having a strong relationship with Jesus. Being filled simply for the sake of living from a whole heart. Having an abundant life right here and now (John 10:10). There is value in pursuing a relationship with Jesus without having any agenda or expectations attached to it.

What if, what if when I do that- when I'm filled, living from a whole heart, experiencing an abundant life- what if from that place, I can offer something of myself, something of my Lord, to other people?

I think everyone would agree, there's value in resting. In taking time to fill up. Do I want the focus of my relationship with Jesus to be what I can take from Him to get something accomplished? Or do I want the focus of my relationship with Jesus to be a beautiful, dynamic, whole-hearted love affair that is valued for what it is?

I guess the difference I'm seeing is "Fill me up, Jesus, so I can go accomplish more." versus "Fill me up, Jesus, because I love you so much."


Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 
~Exodus 20:9-10

Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. 
~Exodus 31:14


Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him 
~Psalm 62:5

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
~Matt 11:28-29

No comments: